Drop Target is a zine all about pinball, written and illustrated by comics makers, Alec Longstreth and Jon Chad. Written with an enthusiasm and an obsessive attention to detail that both Jon and Alec are notorious for, Drop Target is a very fun and hefty read. Alec and Jon became pinheads at the same time, and chronicled in these zines, is their journey from being novices to skilled players to owners of pinball machines which they have fixed up!
The zine contains a lot of regular features, including reviews of pinball games, pinhalls, and pinball-related videos. They interview legends in the pinball community, and even dream up their own pinball games based on books and movies they enjoy. Jon and Alec detail the world of pinball from the inner workings of machines, to the worldwide pinball community, and everything in between.
In this issue:
- Alec & Jon start the series off with an crash-course in the basics of pinball, the history, the terminology, what each item does, how to get points & unlock certain levels of play.
- In “Tilt Talk,” they interview the authors of Multiball, a pinball zine from the 90’s.
- Reviews of the haunts in White River Junction VT (where Jon & Alec got into pinball & started this zine), the Documentary, TILT, and the game that got them hooked: Star Wards Episode One.
- In “Dream Machines,” Alec imagines what a Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone game would look like, while Jon offers his plans for a Lawrence of Arabia game.
- Lastly, Alec brings us up to speed on how he and Jon got hooked on pinball in the first half of his comic, Zeros to Heroes.